Friday 1 April 2011

1820 Toile Planning and Evaluation


Proposed Time plan
Monday 
  • Candide Performance
  • Start Bodice and refine bodice

Tuesday
  • POP Lectures
  • Complete front of skirt and start back 

Wednesday
  • Complete back of skirt
  • Flat draft sleeve and cut out.
  • Draft top sleeve

Thursday
  • Drape lattice decoration transfer onto paper 
  • Decoration samples
  • Start to transfer toile onto paper

Friday
  • Finish transferring toile onto paper.
  • Sew up toile
  • Photographs
Saturday
  • Write up notes and evaluate, photos onto blog.


Record of weeks time frame and evaluation
Monday 

  • Candide Performance
  • Started Bodice

Tuesday

  • POP Lectures and discussions
  • Refine Bodice
  • Start front of bodice

Wednesday

  • Started decoration
  • Started back of skirt
  • Piping samples

Thursday

  • Reproduced back of skirt in washed, pre-shrunk calico, adapting pattern
  • Drafted Sleeve and start sleeve decoration
  • Transferred bodice lattice decoration onto paper 

Friday

  • Transfer toile onto paper.
  • Adjust sleeve pattern
  • Sew up toile
I had a lapse in my time schedule this week, this was mainly down to not anticipating the time required for the production of Candide on Monday and also the amount of time the POP lecture and seminar would take in the afternoon on Tuesday. I started as soon as i could and grabbed moments in the first two days to work but it was not enough to keep up to date with my plan. I was further set back by finding, Wednesday afternoon, that the medium weight calico i was using was too thick and rigid and did not drape smoothly as i wanted for the gathering in the back panel of the skirt. As i did not have any lighter fabric to hand I had to improvise my time (and as i could also not find an available copy of drafting a historical sleeve instructions) I decided to start with the lattice decoration of the bodice. I was pleased with how this turned out as i cut it on the stand to achieve the right shape and curve over the bodice and only had to draft it once. I managed to get the lighter fabric, pre-shrunk washed calico, for Thursday and so could carry on with the main construction. The lighter calico was much more as i had anticipated, and draped smoothly, and because of its thinner weight I also managed to get and extra 15cm of fabric into the gathering giving the back of the skirt a much fuller look. I found getting behind schedule quite frustrating and stressful, knowing it will have a knock-on effect on the rest of my project if i didn't manage to get up to date. Overall I have enjoyed creating this toile and feel it is a nice warm up to the next which may be more challenging. It has given me a good insight into my time management and I have learnt that i must be prepared in advance to keep to schedule.

No comments:

Post a Comment