Saturday 23 April 2011

National Theatre Blouse Planning and Evaluation

Proposed Time Plan (25.04 - 04.05)


I have given myself a week and a half to produce the blouse for the National Theatre due to their being two three bank holidays during this time frame, not allowing me to be in the studio. I am hoping this will be enough time as it is quite a complex piece however the pattern is given to us already drafted.


Monday (Bank Holiday)
  • Planning for week  
  • POP Essay
Tuesday
  • Cutting out pattern from top fabric and marking necessary lines
  • Start pin tucks on blouse
Wednesday
  • Finish pin tucks of front of blouse
  • Sew on braid onto front across and down middle
  • Button Stand on Back
Thursday 
  • Start cuffs and collar, pleats, sew on braiding, sew together and turn through 
  • Sew together front and side piece with braid in the seam.
Friday (Bank Holiday)
  • Blog
Saturday
  • Essay
Sunday
  • Essay
Monday(Bank Holiday)
  • Blog
Tuesday
  • Create placket in sleeve
  • Gather cuffs and shoulder
  • Sew Front and backs together
  • Start sewing in cuffs and collar
Wednesday
  • Finish cuffs and collar
  • Hem bottom of blouse
  • Mark and sew button holes and buttons

Actual Time Record of Progress (25.04 – 08.05)

Monday (Bank Holiday)
  • Planning for week
  • POP Essay
Tuesday

  • Cutting out pattern from top fabric and marking necessary lines
Wednesday

  • Pin tucks on blouse
Thursday
  • Started Cuffs, sewing on braid
  • Pleating fabric for cuffs and collar, had to tack in place and produce extra pleats.
Friday
  • Tacking Pleats
Saturday
  • Blog
  • Essay
Sunday
  • Tacking pleats
  • Essay
Monday (Bank Holiday)
  • Essay
Tuesday
  • Sewed cuffs together, bagging out to finish
  • Sewed braiding across pintucks
Wednesday
  • Middle braid of front
  • Completed cuffs
  • Tacked lace at side of front
  • Decided on undergarments for next toile
Thursday
  • Completed Collar
  • Button stand
  • Sewn together front and side and back
  • Gathering stitches in sleeve
  • Placket in Sleeve
Friday
  • Over locked seams
  • Attached cuffs and collar to blouse, machined and the slip stitched
  • Pinned Hem
  • Tacked undergarments to corset on mannequin for next toile
Saturday
  • Tacked button holes and machined
  • Sewn on Buttons
  • Sewn hem
  • Machine in sleeves
Sunday

  • Blog
Time Frame Evaluation

My time planning these past two weeks was unfortunately hindered by so many days away from the studio in a short amount of time, as well as not anticipating the amount of time the decorative elements of the blouse would take. Having this limited time in the studio and our guiding technician away ill for a few days seriously impacted my time keeping.
 I spent extra time cutting out and marking the fabric at the beginning, as I wanted it to be as accurate as possible to help achieve the best finish I could. The pin-tucks were another very time consuming process that I felt I should not rush, as the lines had to be straight and precise as well as each pin-tuck being produced separately. I was very pleased with the end result although each set me back a full day to complete.
The pleats for the collar and cuffs were one of the most time consuming processes as, instead of just steaming the folds into place, I had to tack the length of each one individually to maintain a crisp look, due to the nature of the fabric I was given. This paired with the pattern piece for the pleats being too small put me behind on schedule by at least two days.
I found with this garment each process took longer than I had planned for, with the need of it to be as accurate as possible and to the best of my ability. Obviously being the first time I have created this garment, and without instructions, I had to spend time considering my process and changing my plans, working out what would be the best way to put the pieces together, during my process of construction. 
I feel I could have possibly stuck to a  full weeks making time, in the studio, for the blouse if I were to produce it again, however this time round I feel I had too many opposing factors to have been able to keep to the time frame. I have worked almost solidly on this blouse when I could from the day I started, so I do not feel I could have shortened my working time on it with out changing some of the contributing factors, like the fabric and pattern.

No comments:

Post a Comment