Tuesday 15 March 2011

National Theatre Blouse - Example

As well as my 19th century cutting on the stand I shall also be making a 19th Century Blouse for the National Theatre Hire Department. I shall be cutting the piece from pattern pieces the National Theatre have supplied and using fabric and accessories like the buttons and lace braiding that the supervisors of the project have supplied.
These are my photos I have taken on the example blouse and shows what I shall be striving to achieve a replica of. 
Overall the blouse has a very delicate feel and is very feminine. All its decorative elements are quite fine and understated but as a whole give quite an impact. I shall try to reproduce this by paying close attention to my stitching and make it as accurate as possible. 
The pin tucks and braiding are a key area, which I need to spend as much time as needed, getting straight and even in width and distance apart. It is also imperative the braiding is straight and matches up as it will be all to obvious if not and will spoil the whole look of the garment.
The collar is another prominent feature that will have to be sewn in correctly and with care to get the defined shape around the neckline. The pleats here also need to be accurate and even to get the pristine finish the National Theatre is looking for.
The small amount of gathering at the shoulder is subtle but must be even either side and fall across the same area width of area to make the sleeves look symmetrical.
Attaching the braiding will have to be done before the cuff is put together as it runs into the seam and the stitching is not seen through the inside of the cuff.


The cuffs will be bagged out the same as the collar, joining these to the rest of the blouse will be a question of following the same technique as the National Theatre and top stitching over the edge or possible machining one side and slip stitching the other which may produce a neater finish for the heavier fabric which I will be using.
This insert in the sleeve I will have to be careful creating as it involves cutting into the sleeve to create the opening for the placket that runs inside. Again I will have to ask whether this is to be top stitched the same or finished with slip stitching.
The button stand of the blouse has not been very neatly finished on the prototype and I should think that I will be required to double turn it to hide the raw edge and strengthen it.
The button holes I shall be doing myself and will make sure they are evenly spaced and are not too obtrusive on the overall effect of the blouse, and are just the right size for the buttons. I will probably do this on a domestic machine to achieve a delicate finish.


No comments:

Post a Comment